Last Updated on: June 17th, 2016
Lyft’s driver referral promotions are dynamic and changes regularly- sometimes from month to month or in a matter of weeks. Please VERIFY accordingly before signing up or you will not get the bonus you though you’d receive.
Why do I need a referral code to sign up? It is important to use a VALID driver referral code before signing up as a new driver because according to Lyft, the referral bonus program was constructed to reward community members. Therefore, they will NOT give you any bonus at all if you sign up directly without keying a referral code. They also do not retroactively honor a referral- meaning you can’t give them a code after the fact. Once you have successfully created an account (verified your phone, gave car info, social security, etc) and they have placed you on their system- AND YOU FORGOT to key in a code, or they changed the bonus amount without warning– you are no longer a *new* driver and are not qualified to receive any or you will only receive the new bonus amount at the time of sign up.
This is a very bitter pill to swallow. We had recently referred someone with a $750 sign up bonus which was valid to the day, and what do you know? On that very same day, in a matter of hours, Lyft decides to decrease its bonus to $300. WHAT?! The excited newbie driver just lost $450 in a matter of hours. What do you do? So of course, you contact support. Meanwhile, your new referred driver is no longer interested to pursue if he’s not getting the amount he thought he’d get. It’s a case to case scenario but if you contact Lyft even by being persistent and asking to communicate with a Supervisor or Manager, the rep assigned to you will give you the runaround standard BS– “we understand your frustration… we appreciate your feedback… here’s our terms…” We gave up.
Read more about the terms below before signing up and refer here for the most current sign up bonus.
Interested to start driving? Use referral code: MAE398950 to get the sign up bonus offered in your city. Want passenger ride credit instead? Use referral code: werideshare for $20-$50 ride credits. New passenger sign up only.
Referral Rewards for Drivers as of June 1, 2016
If you apply with the referral code of an existing Lyft driver, the governing terms are below. In most markets, both the referring driver and the referred driver can earn a bonus by meeting the following benchmarks.
Referral Amounts and Ride Requirements
|City of New Driver||Bonus Amount||Ride Requirement in 30 days|
|New York City||$1,000||150**|
*Bonus amounts and ride requirements may vary in this region depending on the code used to start a driver application. Please Contact Us for details about your application.
**Rides required must occur within a 45 day period.
***Rides required must occur within a 60 day period.
The referring driver must:
- Be an existing Lyft driver in good standing when the referred applicant qualifies.
- Share their driver referral code with their referred applicant. Ambassador codes do not apply.
The referred new driver must:
- Start their application to become a Lyft driver during the promotion.
- Input the referring driver’s referral code in the “Promo/Referral code” field when they start their application or apply using the referring driver’s referral link.
- Complete the specified number of rides within 30 days of being approved as a Lyft driver. For limited-time promotion programs, the referred driver must still complete the ride requirement within 30 days of being approved. No more than two rides with the same passenger will count toward the ride requirement.
- Lyft driver eligibility and approval is determined at the sole discretion of Lyft, and is not guaranteed.
- The duration of the review process may vary.
- Participation in this promotion is subject to Lyft’s Terms of Service.
- This promotion runs for a limited time only, and terms and bonus amounts (if any) are subject to change. Referral bonus promotions cannot be combined with weekly guarantee promos or new driver sign-on promos.
- The bonus amount (if any) is determined by the time and market of the referred new driver’s application, and can vary (for both applicant and referrer) by market. The amounts below reflect current bonus availability and may have been different at the time of the referral and new driver’s application.
- If an applicant has an existing application, they are only eligible for the referral amount, if any, associated with thatoriginal application, and they are not eligible for any other referral amount.
- In Boston, Denver, New York City, Nashville, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C. this promotion is limited to the first 1,000 applicants. In Chicago, this promotion is limited to the first 2,000 applicants. In Dallas, this promotion is limited to the first 500 applicants. In Los Angeles, this promotion is limited to the first 1,000 applicants.
- Applicants who select an Express Drive rental vehicle are not eligible for a referral bonus (their referrer may still earn a one-sided referral bonus if the applicant otherwise satisfies the bonus requirements)
Once these requirements are met, the referring driver and the referred new driver can expect a bonus in 1-2 payouts cycles.