Last Updated on: May 28th, 2016
One of the many things I realized while ridesharing as a driver (depending on your location!) is that you’ve got plenty of time on your hands in between rides.
And. I. Mean. Plenty.
Here’s some practical things you can do without spending money or wasting time stalking your ex on Facebook. Use your downtown time wisely and creatively. Now’s your chance to check off things on your to-do list. Remember what your excuse is for everything? “I just don’t have the time” Well, now you do. Grow, evolve, change.
Find a nice free parking area. Go to a nice park. Smell the roses. Or go to the nearest supermarket, mall, library or university where you are. Stop driving around and save gas! Don’t keep chasing pavements that leads nowhere. (Adele’s got a point.)
I am currently doing two or three things on this list every time I am on driver’s mode. I switch it up, mix and match what I feel like doing on a particular day. If it is hot, I go indoors. If it’s a nice day, I park and stretch out! And yeah, sometimes I get carried away and turn off the app altogether and spend a lovely afternoon in a park reading a book. I am my own boss afterall.
10. Read a book. Learn something new. Carry one of those how-to for dummies. Read self-help books and be on your way to becoming a better version of yourself!
9. Clean up your email inbox. (I have 9,999++ unread mails on my inbox, I kid you not!)
8. Write a handwritten letter to an old friend. Make a grocery list. Create a whole new set of things to-do. Carry a pen and paper. Treat and buy yourself a nice Moleskine notebook. Go write a poem, a novel. Start blogging!
7. Take a leak! The urge to pee sometimes comes when you least expect it– caught in bad traffic, driving someone for an hour- not a comfortable ride when you’re thinking of doing number one or worse, number two!
6. Hydrate and eat. If you’re like me– a workaholic and your mind’s always reeling, food and water often takes a backseat. Remind yourself to eat and drink something!
5. Write for us! Share your experiences. Become a contributor and help other drivers like you navigate ridesharing with ease. Contact us about publication opportunites!
4. Take a short walk. Stretch out! Go window shopping at the mall, think of gift ideas for the next holiday or next birthday. Memorize the grocery aisles at your favorite supermarket so the next time you go, you know where everything is.
3. Relax. Pray. Meditate. Breathe in, breathe out…
2. Answer emails. There is always an email or two waiting for you to answer. Get to it then.
1. Call a friend to say a quick hi! Return that long overdue call from your mother.
So what do you do with your downtime while you’re on active driver’s mode? Do share.